Large Kneeling Statue of Hatshepsut

Sculpture
Geography: MMA 1927–1928
Credit Line: 1930
Geography: Thebes
Period: New Kingdom
Geography: Senenmut Quarry
Credit Line: Rogers Fund
Dynasty: Dynasty 18
Accession Number: 30.3.1
Geography: From Egypt
Materials: Granite
Reign: Joint reign of Hatshepsut and Thutmose III
Geography: Upper Egypt
Geography: Deir el-Bahri
Date of appearance: 1479 B.C. — 1458 B.C.


In her temple at Deir el-Bahri there were at least ten over-life-sized kneeling statues of Hatshepsut. She is shown as a male king wearing a kilt, a false beard, and either the white crown of Upper Egypt, or the nemes headcloth. In her hands she holds round offering vessels and the inscription on the base of each statue identifies the offering she makes to Amun. These huge statues flanked the processional way along which the god's image was carried toward the temple's main sanctuary. They were probably placed in the temple's second court. This statue represents Hatshepsut wearing the white crown of Upper Egypt (the south), so it was probably located on the southern side of the processional way. On the base, Hatshepsut is said to be offering fresh plants to Amun. On the back pillar, she is identified by her Horus name, Wosretkau, which is written in a rectangular device called a serekh. One also finds fragments of her throne name, Maatkare, and her personal name, Hatshepsut, both of which are written in cartouches. In 1930, the Museum's Egyptian Expedition found the body fragments of this statue buried in an area called the "Hatshepsut Hole." Some eighty years earlier, the head had been found and taken to Berlin by Egyptologist Richard Lepsius. The pieces of the statue were reunited in an exchange organized by Herbert Winlock, director of the Museum's excavations at Thebes. This and other exchanges were made possible by the generosity of the Egyptian Antiquities Service, which ceded many fragmentary statues to the Metropolitan Museum in the division of finds.

Large Kneeling Statue of Hatshepsut